Injured In A Distracted Driving Accident? Trust Our Tulsa Attorneys.
You deserve compensation for your crash
Drivers need to pay attention at all times on the road. Otherwise, a distracted driver can easily cause a serious accident without warning. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happens far too often on streets and highways in Tulsa.
Knowing what to do after a distracted driving accident can be confusing. Even knowing what your rights are as an injury victim might not be clear. That's why it's important to talk to an attorney right away after your Tulsa car accident.
We can help you at Lawter & Associates, PLLC. That's because our lawyers have decades of experience handling such complex cases. We know the law inside out when it comes to distracted driving. And we know how to find the facts that matter in order to build strong legal cases.
How did your distracted driving accident happen?
There so many different ways distracted drivers can cause serious crashes in Tulsa. Some of the most common - and often most serious - distracted driving accidents occur because the driver was doing one of the following things:
- Texting while driving (even though it's against the law statewide)
- Talking on a cell phone while driving
- Operating a GPS while driving
- Eating while driving
- Adjusting the radio while driving
Is this how your accident happened on I-244? Or did your accident happen on East 15th Street or another road in Tulsa for another reason? Whatever the circumstances of your crash, we want to help you hold the driver who caused your accident accountable for their actions.
What should I do after my crash?
After an accident caused by a distracted driver, it can be confusing to know what to do next. It is important to act right away because your rights and your health could be at risk. While the circumstances can vary from one accident to another, there are certain steps you can take to protect your rights, including:
- Call the police and tell them you’ve been injured a crash caused by a distracted driver.
- Ask the police to send an ambulance if you believe you were hurt in your crash. (Even if you feel fine, make sure you have a medical professional examine you right away. You could have a life-threatening head injury or another type of internal injury.)
- Take pictures of your accident, especially if possible before both vehicles are moved.
- If someone saw your crash, talk to them and get their full name and phone number. Ask the witness to stay and talk to the investigating police officer, as well.
- Get the at-fault driver’s name, address, driver’s license and insurance information. Feel free to give the same information to the other driver.
- Do not discuss your accident. Anything you say could be used against you later to deny your accident claim.
- Do not talk to the at-fault driver’s insurance company if they contact you. Odds are the only reason they are contacting you is to obtain information they can use against you.
- Contact a lawyer as soon as possible. When you have an experienced attorney on your side, you can fight for your rights and demand the compensation you deserve.
What we can do for you after your accident
Why do you need a lawyer if a distracted driver clearly caused your accident? Because your accident will likely turn out to be far more complicated than you expected. The distracted driver might deny doing anything wrong. They might even try to claim you caused the crash. Even if the driver does admit wrongdoing, that driver's insurance company will likely do everything it can to reduce or deny your claim. That's why you need us on your side, investigating your crash. We know how to analyze accident reports. We can demand to see the driver's cellphone records. And we frequently consult with accident reconstruction experts.
We also understand the urgency of our work. Even though there's a two-year time limit (known as the statute of limitations) to take legal action from the date of your accident, we realize that you can't wait until the last minute to start investigating your accident. Insurance companies know this, too. That's why they have probably already started investigating your crash. They know that evidence often disappears quickly. The memories of witnesses fade fast, too.
We can help you level the playing field. We know to deal with insurance companies and negotiate effectively with them. And if they refuse to cooperate with us, we're prepared to take them to court. Find out how an attorney can help you with your distracted driving accident. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation today.
Lawter & Associates, PLLC
6450 S Lewis Avenue #100
Tulsa, OK 74136
Phone: (918) 496-9577