Were You Hurt in a Tulsa Motorcycle Accident?
Our experienced attorneys will help you build a strong claim
During warmer months, many motorcyclists in the greater Tulsa area enjoy the freedom of the open road. You often see them cruising down Routes 75 and 412. Unfortunately, many drivers fail to yield to motorcyclists – or simply don’t see them at all. The result –Tulsa motorcycle accidents that often leave riders seriously injured.
Many motorcycle accidents often involve:
- Rear-end accidents: Motorists who fail to stop at an intersection or reduce their speed during a traffic slowdown often cause rear-end accidents with motorcycles. In some cases, a motor vehicle can stop unexpectedly, causing a motorcyclist to hit the vehicle from behind and be flung into the air.
- Head-on collisions: While head-on collisions are rare, they can be devastating to motorcyclists. When a motorcycle collides head-on with a motor vehicle, the rider can be flung into the air and suffer life-threatening injuries.
- Side-impact accidents: These accidents usually happen when motorists fail to yield the right of way to motorcyclists at intersections. They can happen at four-way intersections or when a motorcyclist is making a left turn.
- Dooring accidents: These accidents often happen unexpectedly on busy urban streets or narrow residential roads. Motor vehicle drivers and passengers can be responsible for causing a dooring accident with a motorcyclist. When a car door opens without regard for oncoming traffic, a motorcyclist is given little time to react.
- Lane departure accidents: These accidents often happen on multi-lane roads and highways such as Interstate 244 and L.L. Tisdale Parkway. When a passenger-vehicle driver veers out of his or her lane, a nearby motorcyclist can be sideswiped.
The motorcycle accident lawyers at Lawter & Associates, PLLC have over 40 years of experience helping injured motorcyclists in Tulsa seek justice. Our experienced Tulsa motorcycle accident attorneys know how to gather crucial facts to help you build a strong claim. Contact us today and find out how we can help you every step of the way.
What causes motorcycle accidents in Tulsa?
Motorcycle accidents in Tulsa and elsewhere are almost always the result of the reckless or negligent actions of motorists. Tulsa motorcycle accidents are often caused by:
- Distracted driving: Handheld devices and built-in infotainment systems often cause drivers to take their eyes off the road and hands off the wheel.
- Impaired driving: Drunk driving, drugged driving and tired driving causes delays in judgment and reaction time. This can make it difficult for drivers to take evasive measures to avoid a crash with a motorcyclist.
- Speeding and reckless driving: It’s bad enough that some drivers show no regard for motorcyclists. But when they speed and drive recklessly on top of that, they put motorcyclists at risk of suffering life-threatening injuries.
- Road defects: Potholes, ditches and debris in the road can put motorcyclists at risk of an accident. In some cases, local municipalities and property owners can be held responsible for accidents caused by road defects.
- Vehicle manufacturing defects: When brakes, wheels, tires or steering parts malfunction, a serious accident can occur. Passenger-vehicle defects can be dangerous for nearby motorcyclists, especially if a vehicle is unable to stop.
- Inclement weather: In Oklahoma, heavy rain can come by surprise. High winds caused by thunderstorms and tornados can make it impossible to ride safely. Passenger-vehicle drivers who fail to reduce their speed and practice caution during inclement weather can be a danger to motorcyclists.
Why should I consult with a Tulsa attorney?
Motorcyclists don’t have the same protections as passenger-vehicle drivers. Without a sturdy frame, seat belt or air bag, the injuries sustained can be devastating and even deadly.
Injuries often sustained in motorcycle accidents include:
- Spine injuries
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Road rash
- Organ damage
- Cuts, bruises and contusions
- Severed limbs
After a motorcycle accident in Tulsa, your recovery could take months or even years. You could be out of work for an extended period of time. Medical treatment can be costly. In a perfect world, the negligent driver’s insurance company would compensate you for your medical expenses and lost wages. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way. Insurance companies, including your own, are often only interested in reducing their own costs, and they will gladly do it at your expense.
That’s why you should speak to an experienced Tulsa motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. The attorneys at Lawter & Associates, PLLC understand the biases insurance companies take advantage of in motorcycle accident claims. We know the tricks they try to use to downplay or deny your claim, and we’re ready to take them to trial if they refuse to budge.
We work on a contingency basis fee, which means you won’t owe us any money unless we win. Don’t hesitate to contact us for a free case evaluation. You can also call our Tulsa office at 866-584-1028.
Lawter & Associates, PLLC
6450 S Lewis Avenue #100
Tulsa, OK 74136
Phone: (918) 496-9577