Underride Truck Accidents Can Have Devastating Consequences
You need an attorney dedicated to helping you recover
Underride truck accidents occur when a smaller passenger vehicle slides under the side or back of a tractor trailer and gets crushed. Due to the raised design of most trailers, the tops of smaller vehicles often get sheared off - resulting in devastating or sometimes even fatal injuries. For this reason, underride truck accidents are rarely survivable.
The attorneys at Lawter & Associates, PLLC understand the pain and suffering associated with an underride truck accident. That's because we have worked with many families in Oklahoma reeling from such a loss. We've been doing this work for more than 40 years and know all the legal issues that come up after an Oklahoma underride truck accident.
The injuries sustained, or the loss of a loved one, can have a devastating impact on those affected. That's why we want to help you during such a difficult time. Contact us today and find out how we can help you.
What causes underride truck accidents?
Underride truck accidents often occur for the following reasons:
- Truck driver makes a negligent left turn, causing a passenger vehicle to get pinned under the side of the trailer.
- Truck driver runs a traffic light or stop sign and pulls out into an intersection, resulting in a side underride accident.
- Truck driver stops or slows down abruptly, causing a passenger vehicle to get crushed under the back of the trailer.
- Truck breaks down and stops, but the driver fails to use reflective devices to warn oncoming traffic.
- Slippery road conditions make it difficult or impossible for passenger vehicles to stop.
- Visibility issues caused by heavy rain or dense fog can result in underride accidents. Visibility issues can also occur at night if the trailer isn't equipped with reflective tape and lighting.
Why hire an attorney?
After an underride accident with a large truck, it's best to take your claim seriously from the start. A single underride truck accident can leave you out of work for months and require a lengthy and costly recovery. Due to their size and weight, large trucks are a liability to insurance companies. A single accident can cost millions of dollars in damages. That's why insurance companies will often stop at nothing to keep their costs down.
In addition, truck accidents can be complex, as many parties and insurance companies may be involved. The cab, trailer and cargo could be insured separately. Additionally, truck companies will usually launch a prompt investigation using their own team of adjustors and attorneys to downplay any wrongdoing on their part.
Don't waste your time dealing with truck companies and their insurance providers. Let an experienced truck accident attorney at Lawter & Associates, PLLC handle your case. We can launch an investigation and find out what caused your underride truck accident. We can use crucial details gathered from the accident scene and police report to help you build a strong claim. We can fight to hold negligent truck drivers, and the companies that employ them, accountable for your losses.
If you lost a loved one due to an underride truck accident, you may be eligible for a wrongful death claim. If you are the closest surviving relative of the crash victim, you may be entitled to compensation on his or her behalf.
Contact us today to schedule a free, confidential case evaluation. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you won't owe us any money unless we win. Our attorneys are ready to pursue justice for you every step of the way.