Oklahoma Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Defending Injury Victims' Rights
Make your case count. Contact Lawter & Associates. Free case evaluation available.
Slip and fall accidents in Oklahoma can be extremely complicated. What makes these personal injury cases so confusing is the property owner where the slip and fall accident occurred often denies any responsibility. The owner's insurance company may argue your carelessness contributed to the accident. Proving fault can be a difficult process.
Don't underestimate the complexity of your case. Make sure you have an experienced personal injury attorney in Oklahoma on your side who knows how to investigate these accidents and knows how to get results. Make sure you contact Lawter & Associates, PLLC.
Our Oklahoma slip and fall accident attorneys have been handling such complex cases throughout the state for more than 40 years. We know what to expect and what to do to effectively resolve such cases. That's why we want to meet with you as soon as possible. We can review your case and work with you every step of the way to get you back on your feet.
Premises liability accidents and their connection to slip and fall accidents
"Premises liability" is legal term that refers to the responsibility of property owners in slip and fall accidents. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else's property, you may be entitled to compensation by pursuing a premises liability claim.
Oklahoma property owners have an obligation to keep their premises safe and free from obstructions and hazards. A competent premises liability attorney can determine who is responsible for your slip and fall accident and help you receive compensation for your injury-related losses.
To prove a case, one of the following elements must be true:
- The spill, worn or torn spot or other condition that led you to slip or trip was caused by the owner of the property or an employee.
- The premises owner or an employee at the establishment knew about a potential slip and fall hazard but did nothing to remedy the problem.
- The premises owner or an employee should have known about the dangerous surface because a "reasonable" person in a similar position would have discovered the hazard and repaired it.
Oklahoma slip and fall accident victims don't want excuses. They want results.
Many law firms talk about what they can do for clients. We believe actions speak louder than words. In case after case, we consistently help people successfully resolve their legal problems. Accident victims don't want excuses. They want results.
Legal cases can be complicated. Choosing the right lawyer in Oklahoma should not be. Contact us. Call (866) 584-1027 for our Oklahoma City office or (866) 584-1028 for our Tulsa office and schedule a free case evaluation.
Frequently asked questions about slip and fall accidents in Oklahoma:
- What should I do if I'm injured in a slip and fall accident in Oklahoma?
- Do I need to fill out an accident report at the time of my slip and fall accident?
- Who investigates slip and fall accidents in Oklahoma?
- Who will compensate me for my slip and fall accident?
- Should I talk to the owner's insurance company?
- Should I accept a financial offer for my slip and fall injury accident?
- Can I file a slip and fall lawsuit in Oklahoma for damages?
- If I slip or fall at work, can I sue my employer?
- What hazardous conditions are property owners responsible for in Oklahoma?
- Why should I hire an Oklahoma slip and fall accident lawyer?
We strongly urge victims of accidents that happen due to negligence to take the following steps:
- Contact the police and paramedics if necessary.
- If your injury occurred on public property or private property owned by a business, write down the name and address of the business. Also make sure you (or someone else if you are unable) writes down important details, including:
- Exact time of accident
- Weather conditions at the time of your accident
- Whether there were any noticeable hazards, including ice or water on ground, broken handrails and large cracks in floor or sidewalk
- Take photographs of the scene of your accident. Evidence builds strong cases.
- Talk to witnesses. Get their full names, addresses and phone numbers in case you or anyone else investigating you accident needs to reach them.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment with your doctor.
- Contact us. We can thoroughly investigate your slip and fall accident and fight for the compensation you rightfully deserve
No. You are not required by law to fill out an accident report for your slip and fall injuries. However, it is always a good idea to document a fall as soon as possible. Make sure to request a copy before leaving scene. If you are at a store or business when you fall, their policies often require an accident or incident report. You should immediately request the store manager as he is the person most likely to follow the store's policies and procedure. If you are on private property, write down exactly what happened, including witness statements. Photographs taken of the area or hazard may help substantiate your claim. If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately. Your medical record will also help your case.
Depending on the circumstances, the police might investigate your slip and fall accident. But in most cases, the owner of the premises or his or her insurance company will investigate. The insurance company for the at-fault party will look for ways to minimize liability, which is why it's important for you as a victim to have an attorney looking out for your best interests.
In most cases, the insurance company for the owner of the premises compensates slip and fall accident victims. But sometimes, financial compensation for personal injury victims can come from a variety of sources. Our attorneys can investigate and search for all sources of compensation.
No, you may torpedo your claim if you talk about your case with the insurance company for the at-fault party. It's best not to answer questions from an insurance adjuster. Refer them to an attorney. If you haven't hired one, contact our firm as soon as possible. We can handle the adjuster for you. Once you tell insurance companies you have hired a lawyer, they must contact us directly and not attempt to obtain information from you.
It's wise to speak with an attorney about any offer you might receive. Generally, the first offer you get is far less than true cost of a slip and fall accident. Don't allow insurance companies to dictate what happens to you. Level the playing field. Contact us. We know how to negotiate with insurance companies to maximize compensation.
Yes. Most cases are settled out of court, but sometimes the best way to be fairly compensated for a slip and fall accident is to file a lawsuit. Our attorneys can help you evaluate your options. We are skilled at negotiating claims, but are prepared to argue a case in court if necessary.
Most slip and fall accidents at work are covered under Oklahoma workers' compensation laws, and you may consider representation from our Tulsa or Oklahoma City workers' compensation lawyers. You would not file a personal injury suit against your employer.
Any condition in which there is potential for an injury-inducing accident is a hazardous condition. These conditions may include a foreign object in the walking path, an impediment in the walking surface, a failure of the walking surface, inadequate lighting or a substance making the surface slippery and dangerous. Property owners are nearly always responsible for a permanent hazard, such as a broken stair, because they should have known about the situation and had it repaired.
In temporary hazards, such as ice on a sidewalk, the property owner may not be responsible for damages. A court will determine if the owner had enough time to realize and correct the situation before an injury occurred. Usually the only defense a property owner has is the dangerous condition was "open and obvious" to the injured individual.
Slip and fall accident cases can be extremely complicated. Don't try to handle your case on your own, even if the property owner is clearly at fault. Make sure you have an experienced attorney on your side. Contact Lawter & Associates, PLLC.
Our aggressive lawyers have a strong track record for obtain sizeable settlements and verdicts for injury victims. What's the secret to our success? We work tirelessly, right from the very first time we meet with you, all the way through to obtaining compensation for you.
This may be your only opportunity for justice. Seize it. Call (866) 584-1027 for our Oklahoma City office or (866) 584-1028 for our Tulsa office and schedule a free case evaluation.
Lawter & Associates, PLLC
Oklahoma City, OK 73118
Phone: (405) 525-4131
Lawter & Associates, PLLC
Tulsa, OK 74136
Phone: (918) 496-9577